This is going to be a short one. I’m tapping away on my phone while our belongings are being packed away into layers of paper, then boxes, then a truck.
Out stuff is heading off a few weeks before we do because, given the time it takes to ship a container to Australia — anywhere between six and 10 weeks, we still don’t have a fixed estimate — we decided that we’d rather have an empty house in October in Denmark, than an empty house at Christmas in Canberra.
In other news, we collected the travel cage for Mr Pup yesterday so we could have a few weeks to familiarise him with it. I think it’s fair to say he is eyeing it suspiciously.
The last few days have challenged our organisational skills to their limit. We are packing suitcases for the next 10 weeks — clothes for the cold autumn rain that has now gripped Scandinavia, clothes for the warm spring now bathing southeastern Australia, clothes for carrying boxes, clothes for possible job interviews, clothes for kids’ sports activities, plus all the shoes to match, a mini-first aid kit, and so on.
Then there’s the stuff for our final few weeks here — a few old saucepans and plates that we can discard as we head to the airport, a towel or two, wash bags, sleeping bags (although we still haven’t worked out what we’re going to do about pillows). It feels as though 80 percent of our live is heading out of the door while the other 20 percent needs to be lugged around for the next few months.
It’s time to move on, and the piles of boxes and suitcases are the strongest evidence yet. We’ve a few weeks left in Denmark before we head to the airport, but our move officially starts today. Wish us luck.